Monday, April 16, 2012

Mad Dogs. Season 1.

If for some reason you haven't seen it yet, do it. Those of you who may have read my blog just a bit, may wonder that I'm writing only positive reviews, but more is yet to come. After all my blog is only 3-4 weeks old. I still have a lot to watch, a lot of crap, but now I'm writing down everything I've seen recently and which impressed me. Yes, I know, I wrote something positive about American Reunion, but the great thing about your own blog is that you write whatever you want. That's exactly what I'm doing. 

What we have here? Mad Dogs. We have a great ensemble cast - John Simm as Baxster, Mark Warren as Rick, Max Beesley as Woody, Phillip Glenister as Quinn, and most of all the scene stealer Ben Chaplin as Alvo.We've got everything that makes up a good psychological drama where average people are placed in a high adrenaline situation. Long time friends, who seem to like each other, their friendship has its roots since they remember themselves. Well I'm not sure if they know each other since they were kids, but they are friends from a long time ago: they have some common views, common ideas, and most important they all share common past.

Alvo (Ben Chaplin) is the protagonist in the very first episode of the show (four episodes in a season). And although they are all good friends, we see from the very beginning that Alvo is the agressive group leader of sorts. He's successful, he's angry, he's over the top, he's insulting everyone around him the way he wants, and acts as if no one can reproach and stand against him. And that guy, as I said before, is a scene stealer from the very beginning. He's quite repulsive, but his "gentlemen" friends somehow do not feel to attack him, until it's too late actually. It such a pity that his character was (not a spoiler since a third season is being already ordered) killed off in the very beginning. But his character is the main starting point for the rest of the show. Now we have four ordinary men struggling with the problem that Alvo left them to deal with, and four of them have so many troubles, unsaid stuff among themselves that not only do they have to deal with the major problem of Alvo's death, but solve their own group problems.

Max Beesley as Woody
John Simm-Baxter - a lawyer who's license was revoked. Mark Warren-Rick - a family guy who cheats on his wife and hides all the possible marriage problems from himself and his friends. Philip Glenister-Quinn with his marriage in tartars is still in love with his oldtime girlfriend, who's Rick's wife. And finally Max Beesley-Woody - with this guy everything is so unclear that his troubles are yet to come.

Now these guys are dealing with difficulties that we need to explain just a bit. They came for a vacation to visit their rich businessman friend Alvo, they had their fun, they are relaxed. Then unexpectedly Alvo steals a boat and that makes them uneasy. All of a sudden a mysterious masked man comes and kills Alvo right in front of them, threatens to kill them and leaves their place in a police car! Shocked they realize that they cannot trust anyone! And once they find a lot of money on a boat that Alvo stole - they can't trust each other. Add all the intergroup troubles here and you have a mind-blowing story!

Mark Warren as Rick
I like that show. I've still got the second season to finish, but the first one was impressive. I see here four great actors, actors I like (the fifth being Ben Chaplin, unfortunately I haven't seen him in other movies and I'm going to catch up with him). Mark Warren - yeah, that impatient, but smart crook from Hustle. It was a nice change of character, although I must admit, I've just started watching British shows (I'm a fan of Doctor Who, I've seen Hustle, New Sherlock, just started Life on Mars, IT crowd, Black Books... well that's about it). Once I've seen more of them, perhaps I can be more objective as to their range of acting. Max Beesley is ok, but as I said, we must wait for more about him.

John Simm as Baxster
And two most impressive actors are John Simm, and Philip Glenister. (Life on Mars is where they both appear, I'm eager to watch it after finish off second season of Mad Dogs). Let's talk first about John Simm. I first saw him in Doctor Who as a villain - The Master. He was great as the Master. He was that megasuperdruperMANIAC that you may rarely meet in movies. That happened several times in Bond movies, but good villains are scarce, and he was that jem in the final episodes where he attracted more attention than the Doctor himself. His Master was so appealing that's it's my inner wish for the villain to win the hero. It rarely happens. John Simm is so versatile, so different that I can't help myself liking him a lot. The Master was a maniac, and he showed it superbly. Now Baxter is not that simple. All characters are multi-layered, and Baxster as a lawyer without license is a simple guy, but a bit rotten. The first one to lay seeds of feud amongst friends. He's a rat, he's scared, and when he's scared he acts like a rat would do, save his own soul. Which means that season two and three will have a few more surprises.

Philip Glenister as Quinn
But the most dangerous character is Philip's Quinn. By the end of season 1 you may see that he's most dangerous, because he comes to understand that he's the only one who's got nothing to lose. His wife hates him, his daughter's don't wish to see him, love of his life is married to another man, his friend Rick, and he's finding it hard to see himself in that picture. His internal monologue not really shown in the first 3 episodes is finally ripe by the end of episode 4. He is desperate. He sees how meaningless life is and was, and realizes that he's the one to take the blow for all that happened, by doing his best - saving his friends. He's not talking much, but acts decisively. 

Don't worry, I haven't told you much, I hope so. No spoilers, only important info to understand characters and story line. What is also good about this show is that the story line and characters are very much developed and wooven into each other. It's rare to see a drama that has everything well balanced: story and characters. Everything looks organic, actors look as if they're acting themselves in real lives. 

Ben Chaplin as Alvo
I can't give any stars to that show, simply because I haven't finished it. It looks for a five, but not all may like it. It's quite slowpaced, there's more dialogue than action. You've got to be ready to watch that show. Get rid of everyone and everything that may distract you, watch it alone, or with someone who doesn't talk much and enjoy the idea that the creator wants you to follow. Even if you may not like the pace, watch it for the actors, they are great here. And if you've seen them before like I did enjoy the Master, you may like that they can act directly opposite their other roles.

(I used pics from: http://sky1.sky.com/mad-dogs/mad-dogs-the-best-of-season-1 . Hope they're not angry about it. I gave the link afterall :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment